Monday, August 6, 2007

Make your days count



Recently Pastor Ken preached a message from Psalm 84 in which the main point was "Count your days and make your days count."




I generally think I do a great job of the not getting caught up in the temporal. But, I was exposed for the selfish and worldly thinker that I am this week.My dad invited me to the PGA championship golf round for this weekend (August 9-12) 2 weeks ago. I was excited to go and watch TIGER and guys that golf like me. Alrighty-maybe they are a bit better. Anyways-I wanted to go, but I had a conflict. I was scheduled to go to a Christian leadership conference that will equip me to lead better. I quickly let me dad know that I could not attend. However, I wrestled with this.




It seems that my dad always invites to me the greatest sporting events ever (US OPEN in '00, MLB All-star game and George Brett's hall of fam induction), while I have something scheduled to will build the kingdom of God. Obviously the best use of my time is to make an eternal impact. I received a call 3 hours ago inviting me to watch a Yankees game in NY. My dad was going to cover all cost. It would have required me to miss our 2nd Men's Fraternity meeting (I believe that God is going to use Men's Fraternity to transform the Men of Western Sedgwick County.)




I said "No." It was easier, but still chaffed the temporal sports fanatic within me.I am human and wrestle too much with the temporal.

No comments: